The sitting Alderman for the Ward of Bishopsgate in the City of London, the Rt Hon the Baroness Patricia Scotland PC QC, has announced her intention to stand down, following her successful election for a second term as Secretary General of the Commonwealth.
As such, the City of London Corporation elections team have published a notice which reads:
NOTICE OF WARD ELECTION
CITY OF LONDON WARD OF BISHOPSGATE
ELECTION OF ALDERMAN
To the Electors of the Ward of Bishopsgate
- NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that by virtue of a Precept from the Right Honourable The Lord Mayor, a Wardmote will be held on Wednesday 14th September 2022, at Noon at Coopers’ Hall, 13 Devonshire Square, London, EC2M 4TH to elect an Alderman following the surrender of the Office of Alderman for the ward by Baroness Patricia Scotland.
- Nomination papers can be obtained from the Ward Clerk, Electoral Services Office, 2nd Floor West Wing, Guildhall, London, EC2P 2EJ between 9.15am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday or downloaded from https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/about-us/votingelections Completed nomination papers must be received in the Electoral Services Office by noon on Monday 22nd August 2022.
- Applications –
• for a new postal vote;
• to change an existing postal vote to a proxy vote;
• to cancel a postal vote;
• to change a ballot paper address; or
• to cancel or change the appointment of proxies
must be received in the Electoral Services Office by 5.00pm on Wednesday 31st August
- New applications for proxy votes must be received in the Electoral Services Office by 5.00pm on Wednesday 7th September 2022. If after 5.00pm on Wednesday 7th September 2022 you are unable to vote in person because you:
• have a medical emergency; or
• learn you cannot go to the polling station because of work/service reasons you can apply to vote by emergency proxy. Completed applications, suitably witnessed, must be made before 5.00pm on polling day, Thursday 15th September 2022
- If the election is contested, a poll will take place at Coopers’ Hall, 13 Devonshire Square, London, EC2M 4TH on Thursday 15th September 2022 between the hours of 8.00 am and 8.00 pm. After the votes have been counted, the Wardmote will resume
at Coopers’ Hall, 13 Devonshire Square, London, EC2M 4TH and the result of the poll will be declared. Notice of such poll will be published on the Ward Notice Board at the Church of St Botolph Without Bishopsgate.
- Dated this 15th August 2022 John Barradell, Ward Clerk
- Note 1. The attention of candidates and electors is drawn to the provisions relating to the completion of nomination papers, the times and place for delivery thereof and the other provisions relating thereto contained in Acts of Common Council –further information can be obtained from Electoral Services.
- Note 2. Every person guilty of a corrupt or illegal practice will, on conviction, be liable to the penalties imposed by the Representation of the People Act 1983. Note 3. Qualifications of candidates for the office of Alderman. A candidate for the office of Alderman must not be disqualified by virtue of any enactment and must be aged 18 or over, British, Irish or a citizen of a Commonwealth Country, an able and sufficient citizen and freeman of the City, not already an Alderman and at the date of nomination and at the date of election must either (a) be a justice of the peace or (b) not be the subject of a debt relief restrictions order, an interim debt relief restrictions order, a bankruptcy restrictions order, a bankruptcy restrictions interim order or a debt relief restrictions undertaking, and not have been convicted in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, of any imprisonable offence (whether or not sentenced to a term of imprisonment in respect of the offence)